Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
- Climate change affects the region in different ways due to the large geographic area that spans different climates.
- Temperatures have warmed by 2-3° F since 1900 throughout the region.
- More precipitation is now falling as rain instead of snow, which is reducing snowpack in much of the region.
- Extreme events like droughts, floods, wildfires, and heat waves are occurring more often.
- Glaciers are melting, permafrost thaw is increasing, and breakup of river and sea ice is occurring earlier in the year.